Friday 10 July 2009

Day 5 - Plunged into darkness..

Today the french windows in the lounge had to be boarded up so they can be built/bricked up to.

This meant clearing the lounge furniture away from the windows. Lee, the youngest builder, who also gets to make more tea, was tasked with this. I gave him a hand but lived to regret it. I was moving the exercise bike when I managed to bang into the DVD shelves, in a comedy moment worthy of a bad sitcom a collection of heavy things on top of the shelves wobbled and then fell - onto the back of my head. I was too dazed to see exactly what had hit me but it was either a green ceramic vase, a wooden game board or one of four marble eggs! Boy did it hurt, I saw stars and felt very naseous. And poor Lee was very worried, it's not good when the client nearly knocks herself out when she's helping you! Of course it was my own stupid fault - both for knocking and for keeping that stuff up there in the first place!



Chatting with Shaun, the foreman, about what was planned for the windows I spotted a dead bug that had been under the sofa. One of those crunchy flying bugs about an inch long, a bit beetle like, but they fly? (after some research on the interwebs it was a May bug although you may prefer it's real name, a cockchafer! It's also known as a Billy Witch or Spang beetle) Martha likes to bring them in from the garden and then chase/bat them around until she's bored. Either she'd batted him under or he'd limped under there to die in peace. I picked it up and Shaun took 3 steps backwards. Turns out he's a builder who doesn't like bugs or spiders!! Surely they must encouter them on a regular basis?!

I decided to throw the bug out into the footings so he could be a permanent part of the new extension - he did not die in vain.

Nursing a killer headache I snapped some final pics of the french windows and the view before the darkness descended.

No comments:

Post a Comment